Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Greatest Challenge

Finding a fun game to play is never a problem.

Finding people to play that game with? Now, that can be a different issue entirely...especially if you are not fortunately enough to live close to a FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store) with an active gaming community.

That has been my greatest challenge since moving out to rural Delaware County two years ago, finding players. I've got my monthly AT-43 night at Guardtower with my friend, Dan, sure. And, we've been mixing it up a little lately trying out some other games apart from AT-43. But, the Guardtower is an hour and 1/2 round trip! That's almost the same amount of time I have to actually game!

I know that this is a challenge that is not unique to myself. And, I know it's not even simply a by product of living in the sticks. There's plenty of gamers, or potential gamers, who don't have a game store in their town or anywhere within a couple hours drive of where they live. It makes it tough to find players.

I've found myself envious of the gaming club system they have in Europe, and wish there was something similiar here. With the Internet, gamers don't necessarily need a FLGS to keep up with the latest gaming prouduct ('though there is no substitute for being able to pick up, handle and touch a product before making that purchase)...but, here in America, the local game store also provides the opportunity to meet other players.

So, what is the solution for the rural gamer?

I don't know. I'm working on that. As I mentioned, we have a store in town (Hobby Central) but they don't have a website or any way to announce upcoming games or look for players. That makes it tough. Not impossible, mind you. But, tough.

I'm determined to find a way to crack this nut...

No comments:

Post a Comment