Thursday, January 5, 2012

Champions Clash in 2012


I'll admit it. I'm on a bit of a Warcraft kick right now. I've long been a fan of the original Warcraft computer real-time-strategy games. I recently dug out Warcraft III and have been enjoying the heck out of playing that. I dig the world and lore of Azeroth and the look and feel that Blizzard Entertainment has created for the world of Warcraft.

Thanks to a friend dumping his collection of old Upper Deck World of Warcraft TCG cards on me, I've got a bunch of cards but have never played the TCG. Always thought I might try it, but the opportunity never arose...and frankly, I never put much effort into seeking it out.

I loved the entirely too-shortlived World of Warcraft Miniatures Game (also from Upper Deck). But, sadly the game seemed to be mishandled and died a premature death.

Cryptozoic took over the TCG when Upper Deck lost the license a couple years back, and from all appearances seem to be doing a great job with it. It remains tempting. But, then Cryptozoic announced an all-new World of Warcraft card game for 2012: Clash of Champions, a deck building game. Here's what Cryptozoic says about the game:

World of Warcraft: Clash of Champions takes deck-building games to a whole new level!

Players take on the role of some of the most iconic Heroes of the Warcraft universe, including Thrall, Jaina, King Varian, Garrosh, Sylvanas, and King Magni. When Epic Raid Bosses like Onyxia, Ragnaros, and The Lich King are defeated, your Heroes level up! Each Hero comes with four special cards that are unique to that Hero. When your Hero levels up, you get to add one of these exclusive cards to your deck. Every game plays out differently, and every Hero provides a new, customizable game experience!

Acquire Epic Loot, defeat monsters, and take on Raid Bosses that strike fear into the hearts of mortal men!

Sounds pretty cool to me, actually! Part of what keeps me out of the TCG is the long history the game already has. Here's the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something. The game is supposed to retail for $44.99 but you get a bunch of stuff for the money:

  • 423 Game Cards
    • 24 Unique Hero Ability Cards
    • 56 Starting Cards
    • 126 Item Cards (9 each of 14 different cards)
    • 126 Monster Cards (9 each of 14 different cards)
    • 3 Gathering of Legends Cards
    • 9 Epic Boss Cards
    • 32 Boss Loot Cards
    • 20 Poison Cards
    • 26 Randomizer Cards
    • 1 Deleted Stack Card
  • 6 Oversized Hero Cards
  • 1 Rulebook

I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this one!

Clash of Champions can be played in 30 minutes with 2-4 players. I admit I'm disappointed there is no solo mode, as that would ensure it getting to the table more often. It's due out in early 2012. I believe I heard a February date bandied about, but in the gaming world the release date is the date you actually see it in your local shop!

So, if you're a fan of the Warcraft franchise, or of deck-building games, keep a lookout for World of Warcraft: A Clash of Champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment